My name is Juliette Wileman (0875), and this is my A2 Media Studies Coursework blog. I am working in Group 3 along with Audrey King Lassman (0397), Brandon Poonwasie (0660), and Chrystal Li (0470).
To navigate around my blog, use the labels on the left side, below the Labels heading.
Thank you!

Website

Album Art Digipack

Album Art Digipack

Music Video

Saturday 13 September 2014

Initial Research, Influences And Ideas - Influential Styles/Movements/Periods

Utopia

I am influenced by the style of Utopia, the Channel 4 TV series. I like the use of intensely saturated colour, along with interesting framing. I think this style would mostly fit an indie video, for conceptual scenes, as the style is quite unique and surreal.


Dean Sherwood
(photo from deansherwood.com)
I also like the grading style that photographer and documentary maker Dean Sherwood uses. Again, I think this style would fit an indie video, or a slower, more emotional song, as the style is very subdued and soft compared to that of Utopia. I think this grading style could be achievable with the resources available to us, and we could also experiment around this style too.

Post-Modernism And Inter-Textual References
I would like to make a video that incorporates inter-textual references and post-modernism, like the video for Fancy by Iggy Azalea, where the video is referencing the film Clueless. I think it can add an extra layer of meaning and connotation to the video depending on what is referenced. The references can also appeal to different audiences, such as different ages if there is a reference to a certain era - for example, Fancy is referencing the 90s , as Clueless was released in 1995.






Andrew Nowrojee
I like the style of the Australian director Andrew Nowrojee, who directed the music video for Awkward by San Cisco, as well as for another song by them called Fred Astaire. He has directed projects for a range of commercial clients, as well as writing and directing his own films. His short film LONE won Best Direction Festival De Strasbourg in 2009, Best Integral Realization at the New York Short Film Festival in 2010 and Best Achievement in Visual Effects St Kilda Film Festival 2009.

I like his interpretation of this song, and plays on the theme of the lead singer not being good enough - for example, the lead singer is left for another, better dancer at 1:11.


Anders Malmberg
I also like the style of director Anders Malmberg, who is a more conceptual director. He directed the music video for Waste Of Time by , along with other music videos like Doubtful Mind by Rough Days For Diamond Trade. He has also directed web spots for Clarks and Wood Wood, as well as for the electric music festival Corabelle. Most of his work has the same grading style, which I also find influential, as it is similar to that of Dean Sherwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment