My name is Juliette Wileman (0875), and this is my A2 Media Studies Coursework blog. I am working in Group 3 along with Audrey King Lassman (0397), Brandon Poonwasie (0660), and Chrystal Li (0470).
To navigate around my blog, use the labels on the left side, below the Labels heading.
Thank you!

Website

Album Art Digipack

Album Art Digipack

Music Video

Friday 12 September 2014

Initial Research, Influences And Ideas - Influential/Inspirational Album Covers

My Everything - Ariana Grande

I like this album art as it is simple and minimalist, which is the type of style I prefer. It is also presenting the artist as more mature, as the pose is quite emotional, and the black and white colouring makes it more subdued. The costume is also mature, but not over-sexualised. The font for the title of the album, My Everything, is feminine, which portrays the artist as feminine, along with her pose.However, the album art is not clearly conveying the genre of the album - pop - as it lacks colour and cheerfulness that most pop album covers have.






I Wanna Get Better - Bleachers

I like this album art as it is quirky and different, and conveys the indie genre well - the girl with the short, pink hair would be associated with being 'hipster', which is associated with indie music. Also, the polaroid style colouring of the image also conveys the indie genre, as it is less manufactured looking than pop album art for example. The font style is also clear and simple, so the artist and album name are obvious.








Smother - Daughter

I think this album art works because it is so simple - there is no image, only the album and artist name. The only problem is it doesn't convey the genre of indie, although it could be argued that the minimalist and different style does connote the indie genre, as it is conventional for indie artists to be unique and unconventional.







Arc - Everything Everything

This album art is effective as it conveys the genre (indie) effectively due to the retro look as it is stylistically like the 60s, such as the Hard Day's Night cover. I also like how the band are the main focus of the cover, although it is not clear whether Everything Everything is the band or album name, as with Arc, unless you knew the band beforehand.




Shut Up And Dance (Single) - Walk The Moon
I also like the style of this cover, as it clearly shows who the artist is and what the album is called. It also clearly conveys the genre of the album (indie) through the use of quirky fonts and the focal image. The image is also a visual representation of the title of the song, as the woman is preventing the man from talking by covering his mouth.
I would like to make an album cover like this or the Bleachers album, as I like the style and layout, and both clearly convey genre, artist and album name.

No comments:

Post a Comment